Monday, May 4, 2009

Chewy's Arrival

August 1, 2003 was the day Jeff and I went to get Chewy. He was 7 weeks old at the time, and weighed only 8 lbs. On his little snout, his Mom, Ready, had licked all the fur off. She really loved him, as Chewy was her only baby who survived her last litter. She had taken good care of him, gave him lots of love, lots of attention, cuddled with him a whole bunch, kept him warm and safe all through the summer.

That morning, Jeff, my Dad and I went to get Chewy from his breeder, Sandy. Sandy lived near Milwaukee in a small town with rolling hills and lots of trees. It was a beautiful, warm sunny day.

The first thing that I did, after saying hello to Sandy, was head over to where Chewy was hanging out. His front paws were up along the side of the fence, tail was wagging all over the place, and he had such a happy Sammy smile on his face. Chewy's belly was pink and so was his snout from all of his Mom's kisses. Immediately, I had to pick him up. He was SOOO cute and little!!! He fit nicely and comfortably in my arms. I knew that wouldn't last long! Sammies are a larger breed and big breeds grow quickly. He was so happy to see me.

I put Chewy down and he trotted over to visit his Dad and the other Sammies that Sandy owns. They're all so beautiful. Chewy's parents, Ready and Maleek, are both champions. Chewy now looks so much like his Mom. He even acts like her. Same mannerisms and personality.

Chewy's older brother (from a previous litter), Crash, was there too. Crash is a really big Sammy. When he stands on his hind legs, he's taller than I am at 5 feet. At the time, he was Sandy's dog. Beautiful dog!

After talking to Sandy for awhile, it was time for us to head home. Along the way, we stopped at my Aunt and Uncle's house to visit my cousins, Katie and Kyle. They liked meeting Chewy. We played with him in their front yard. I knew that I wanted Chewy to be a very social dog, so meeting people and family is very good. Especially meeting children. Sammies are great with kids.

When we got back home to Wisconsin Rapids, the first thing we did, before going home, was go to my parents' house. They own Brumus, who is Crash's littermate. Brumus, Chewy and Crash all have the same Mom and Dad, Ready and Maleek. So, Chewy and Brumus began their brotherly relationship that day. They're a year and a half apart in age and Brumus is the dominant dog. Chewy's ok with that. Chewy and Brumus were hanging out in my parents' backyard sniffing and checking each other out. Both their tails were wiggling. Chewy was silent just checking out this big dog who looked just like the other dogs where he came from. Brumus was hesitant because Chewy was so little and so new. "What was this new dog? What was he doing at my house?"

We brought Chewy home to his new house; our house. We had toys for him, a bed, food and water. He wandered around and checked everything out. Then, he laid down on his new doggie bed with his name on it and fell asleep. Our precious puppy was home.

No comments:

Post a Comment